How do I use Skanect Pro with the Structure Sensor line? (ST01 and ST02A)
Using Structure Sensor with Skanect makes it incredibly easy for nearly anyone to capture, refine and share high-quality 3D scans of people and objects. Here’s how to get started.
On Your Computer
First, download and install Skanect on your Mac or Windows PC:
- Check to see you have a compatible iPad. Incompatible iPads may be too slow or may be running older versions of iOS that are no longer compatible with Skanect.
- Calibrate your sensor using the Calibrator app. This is required for both color and monochromatic scans. Please keep in mind, the sensor holds two types of calibration: with and without the Wide Vision Lens. For Skanect, you will need to calibrate without the Wide Vision Lens. For more information on how to calibrate successfully, please check out Getting Started: How to Use Calibrator.
- Download Structure Uplink to your iPad.
- Check to make sure both your iPad and computer are on the same wireless network. For best results, we recommend using a 5Ghz router and selecting a channel with little or no competing network traffic.
- Launch Skanect on your PC or Mac.
- Launch the Structure Uplink app on your iPad.
- Allow Structure Uplink to access local networks. Failure to allow this permission will stop Structure Uplink from connecting to Skanect.
- Tap "Uplink" in the right hand menu.
- In Skanect, set up your settings and bounding box. For information on all the different settings, check out this article: What Do All These Settings Do?
- Find a suitable object or person to scan, and tap the “Rec” button on the iPad. You’ll now see that what you’re capturing on your iPad will be mirrored in the Skanect interface on your Mac or PC.
- Walk around the object you are scanning until you have completed your scan.
- When finished, tap "Stop". You can now refine, save and export your 3D scan in Skanect.
Apple Mac (OS X):
- Connect the Structure Sensor to your Mac using the USB Hacker Cable.
- Launch Skanect on your Mac.
- Install the correct OpenNI drivers.
- Connect the Structure Sensor to your Windows PC using the USB Hacker Cable.
- Launch Skanect on your Windows PC.